Starting School Information September 2021
Just a reminder that Zoom parent meetings are Monday 12th July and Tuesday 13th July Don't forget to log into the zoom meeting at the correct time that was given out on your letter.
Firstly hello and welcome to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Catholic Primary School.
Due to the current situation, we have created this online web page to give you up to date current information for all our new children starting school in September 2021. This page will be updated with key dates and relevant information for parents, therefore please keep regularly checking this page for the latest developments and information.
We would usually invite parents to attend a 'New Starters Meeting' in the summer term to be able to share key information and show you around the learning environment both in the classroom and outdoor area, however due to Covid-19 and current guidelines we are developing new ways to communicate and share relevant information with you all. Therefore, this year instead of face-to-face parent meetings to talk and discuss your child we will now be arranging Zoom meetings (date and time are in your packs that have been sent to you) instead to discuss your child's likes and interests, medical needs and any other concerns you may have.
We are working very hard to ensure that your child has the best start to school even though we cannot plan and arrange the usual story sessions to meet our new teachers and a lunch session in the summer term. It is such an exciting adventure to begin your learning journey in Reception so we have created a short video to show you some of the fun things your child will be doing when they start school at Our Lady's (Please see Reception class video under 'September 2021 Intake').
Please see the booklets below with key information about starting school and a guide about how you can support your child starting school. Also, below are some useful resources and activities for your child to enjoy and have fun with whilst learning too.
Here are a few things you can do with your child to help prepare them for school:
- Read books about starting school (see suggested list in booklet) and chat about starting school.
- Help your child to recognise their name, play with letters (Their name will be on their peg, drawer and clothes so it will help them become more responsible for their things).
- Practise skills like getting dressed, using cutlery and going to the toilet and washing their hands as this will encourage them to be more independent.
- And most importantly lots of play! This is the best way children learn and master a variety of skills.
(Reception class teacher)
- Reception Handbook for Parents September 2021
- Starting School Booklet September 2021
- Steps to starting school
- Tips for parents
- School Readiness parent booklet
- Helping your child with Reading
- Helping your child at home with Maths
- Ideas to develop fine motor skills
- Letter formation phrases
- Reading and Writing Activities
- Pencil grip support
Useful websites and games for your child to play:
(Click on the links below)
PhonicsPlay games (Phase 1 only)
Phonicsbloom games (Phase 1 only)